Learning to Love Yourself Inside and Out
Recently, we’ve been talking a lot about the main focus topics for our Luscious in London Retreat. Self-esteem, personal style and self-confidence have been our topics across our website and social media. The purpose of these topics however, all leads up to the biggie – Learning to love yourself.
These three topics we discussed previously play a huge role in helping to create a happy lifestyle. However, any one of them on its own is not enough to break out of the monotonous cycle of a repetitive, unfulfilling lifestyle; to achieve this it’s useful to work on all three of these areas.
This week, we’re g0ing to think about the necessary steps we can take in order to move towards truly loving and valuing ourselves for who we are. We’re also going to discuss the wide-ranging benefits of self-love. There are important messages to take away from my previous articles (if you haven’t read them yet, links are below!) So, let’s quickly recap them:
- Boosting Self-Esteem starts by disregarding your comparisons of yourself to others. Forget about how others do things and start thinking about how you want to do things.
- Not everybody has the same talents or even the same goals in life. It’s not healthy to compare yourself to somebody who looks, acts and thinks differently to you; how can you ever take an accurate measure of that?
- The beauty of the world God has created comes from its diversity. The same can be said of his children. His creation is diverse and we should embrace that rather than trying to conform to someone’s perceived image of perfection.
- Personal style is all about finding a manner through which you can express yourself to the world – how you “show up” in the world.
- Start with the basics as advised by Suzanne Bernier, try as many options as you can and when buying something news, stick with the things that make you say “Wow! I love it!”
- Remember to keep your individuality in mind and find a style that’s reflective of your personality. For example, mine is formal with an occasionally wacky twist.
- Learn to let go of the negative thoughts that keep you down. Break away from it and start thinking with a fresh mind.
- Imagine a situation that makes you feel uncomfortable to be a struggle of someone you love. What would you advise them to do if they were in the same circumstances?
- Don’t allow insecurity to prevent you from taking the opportunities life hands you. Seizing the day is one of the biggest ways to improve your self-confidence and move towards starting to love yourself!
All of the advice above plays a huge role in establishing who you are today as an individual. Many of the personal issues we have in life stem from a persistent reinforcement of negative ideas. Neuroscientists have conducted extensive research into the causes of depression and self-deprecation. Studies across the board indicate that consistently negative thinking causes the solidification of neural pathways (the roads of our minds). The more often we use these pathways, the stronger they become and the easier it is for our brains to revert to the old ways of thinking. If we allow those negative thoughts to take root, they can dominate our lives. The reverse of this is also true. We can begin to create new neural pathways, when we push ourselves to think differently.
Our aim as an organisation to make sure as many women as possible can escape from these kinds of reinforced negative thoughts. One of the ways we do this is through our up-coming retreat, Luscious in London which. Here is an ideal opportunity to begin moving down the road to truly accepting and loving yourself inside and out.
What does the Word say?
“The world is unprincipled. It’s dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn’t flight fair. But we don’t live or fight our battles that way – never have and never will. The tools of our trade aren’t for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture. We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity.” – 2 Corinthians 10:5-6
Or check out our Wellness Wednesday posts on Facebook for some extra tips.
Links to previous articles: